29 replies to this topic

#21 sit properly

sit properly

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

There's something to be said about straying way off topic. :) Thanks!

#22 Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep the Show on the Road!

King of the Road

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Eric,

On or off topic, thanks for the interesting road trip ideas! I want to try the Polaroid process on some historic road sites myself, and I like the idea of sending friends the originals on your Route 66 trip to maintain interest as you travel.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

#23 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

My other major hobby is collecting vintage cameras. I probably have 75 of them. I focus on 35 mm rangefinders and SLRs, but have been dabbling in 120 this year and also have a smattering of Polaroids.

The pack film cameras are THE way to go with Polaroid, because Fujifilm still makes brand new film for them. These are the cameras where you manually pull the photo out of the camera, wait for developing, and peel the photo off backing paper to reveal the print. In my opinion, the pack film cameras take better pictures than most, if not all, of the integral film cameras (the kind where you press the button, the picture shoots out the front, and develops before your eyes).

Some posts from my blog about my Polaroids:

Pack film: http://blog.jimgrey....g-swinger-3000/
Integral film: http://blog.jimgrey....id-onestep-600/ and http://blog.jimgrey....olaroid-one600/

A list of all of the cameras I've collected and shot:

http://blog.jimgrey.net/about/cameras/

-Jim

#24 sit properly

sit properly

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi Jim!

The Big Swinger 3000 is, I think, my favorite of the pack film cameras (maybe after the 250). The single element lens pulls off some wonderful shots. I absolutely love it. I just wish they would have made a single element camera that could take color film. I don't usually shoot B&W. I've got six or seven pack film cameras. I can't believe I somehow missed out on this. Some of my shots from the BS3k are here.

I checked out your blog and I'll start following. Your collection is fairly amazing. Mine, here, is smaller (and missing all of the Polaroids that I now have). I think I've gotten a few others since then. They're all 120. I like big negatives, I guess.

-Eric

#25 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Someone recently gave me one of the pack film cameras with the rangefinder. I forget which model and am too lazy to go into the other room, dig for it, and look. I'm planning to clean that up over the holiday and use it. I have one pack of the b/w film in the fridge still and will get some color.

Boy, has this thread gone way OT.

#26 sit properly

sit properly

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

The range finders are so much fun. The 250 (or 100) are both great. Keep the rollers clean and your shots will turn out even better than you'd expect. Sometimes they turn out almost too good. Most of what we'll shoot on our 66 trip will be with 250s and 100s.

#27 Brainbucket Mike

Brainbucket Mike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Just an old retired Navy biker.
    23 Years in the U.S. Navy, Married to a great gal with 2 great kids, Love to travel and have been to most parts of the world. 5 continents and 36 countries (Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Canada, China, Croatia, Djibouti, Egypt, England, France, Greece, Indonesia, Israel, Italy , Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Oman, Philippines, Portugal , Russia, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Singapore, Slovenia, Somalia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, The Vatican City) and 35 U.S. States. Love to ride my Harley. Best ride yet has been our coast to coast to coast trip from Va Beach, out Route 66 to California, and back.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

@ sit properly (eric) Going back to the original topic. I watched the Season Finale of Boardwalk Empire, and they were back on the same road. Only this time they didn't CGI in the blacktop and it was the sand road that it actually is. Poor Gyp Rosetti met his untimely demise just of the road.

#28 sit properly

sit properly

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I saw that too! I wasn't 100% sure it was the same exact road, but if it was, that kind of breaks my heart.

But it says quite a bit about their special effects team.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :)

#29 Brainbucket Mike

Brainbucket Mike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Just an old retired Navy biker.
    23 Years in the U.S. Navy, Married to a great gal with 2 great kids, Love to travel and have been to most parts of the world. 5 continents and 36 countries (Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Canada, China, Croatia, Djibouti, Egypt, England, France, Greece, Indonesia, Israel, Italy , Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Oman, Philippines, Portugal , Russia, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Singapore, Slovenia, Somalia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, The Vatican City) and 35 U.S. States. Love to ride my Harley. Best ride yet has been our coast to coast to coast trip from Va Beach, out Route 66 to California, and back.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ha ha ha! I agree 100% on all points. Long live Nucky!

#30 beckyrepp

beckyrepp

Roadie

• Root Admin
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Road trips, dachshunds, coffee and chocolate.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Great sleuthing!
  • Brainbucket Mike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users